Home-Start supports families through a Volunteer Home Visiting Service and Family Support Groups, families may access one or both types of support depending on their needs.
Home Visiting Service – we match each family with a home visiting volunteer who will visit each week at a mutually agreed time to provide emotional and practical support.
- All volunteers are DBS checked, have parenting experience and will have completed a minimum of 40 hours’ training.
- Volunteers can help parents access the community, provide support at appointments and sign-post to other local support services.
- Volunteers can give ideas on play activities with children and support parents to implement routines and boundaries.
- Volunteers can support families to budget and complete application forms for benefits.
If we think you qualify for our service, a carefully selected and trained volunteer, who has parenting experience, can visit you regularly for 2-3 hours a week in your own home. Our volunteers are there to offer emotional and practical support which is based on what we together agree would be helpful. Our support is flexible and responsive to your needs and can include:
- being a listening ear or someone to talk to
- adult company
- helping and playing with your children
- help to find out about and access other local amenities and services
- encouragement and motivation
- practical help
If you are a parent looking for support, please phone us on 01245 421222 or visit our Contact Page to ask for a referral form. The form is simple; you can complete it yourself but please phone or call into our office if you need help with this or ask someone else such as your GP or health visitor to do it for you. The information you provide will help us ensure that the support you receive is appropriate and effective.
Once we receive your completed referral form we will contact you and arrange to visit to discuss what issues your family is having to deal with, what support is needed and how we may be able to help you. Home-Start Chelmsford is an independent and confidential volunteer service – we only support you at your request.
Next: Family Group